2.27.2008

commission vs. omission

I am reading this book called In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day by Mark Batterson.  I cannot seem to put it down but with my busy schedule I find myself toting it around and reading it before classes, convocation, or whatever so if I happen to get a minute or two to read I pull it out with my pen (gotta be able to mark in it...duh!)

This book is a must read and I encourage anyone who has not read it to read it as soon as possible.  This is a book that will really change your "churchy" perspective on how to be a true Christ follower.

One of the topics he touches briefly on that I fell in love with was this idea of commission versus omission.  A lot of times in churches today and sunday schools we are told about the "don'ts" in being a Christian (don't drink, don't have sex before you are married, don't do drugs, etc.).  Batterson makes a strong statement that we get hung up on the lesser of the two evils if you will.  I completely agree.  Our bigger concern should be the opportunities we miss out on.  Not witnessing, not serving, not putting others first, etc. are things that we just sit back on the sidelines and cheer others on as they take part in the adventurous elements of Christianity.  We have opportunities lying in front of us all the time but yet we never see them or chose not to act.

I was talking with a guy that I disciple and mentor today about this concept from the book and he was blown away.  We began talking about it and then he made this comment, "but it's just how we were wired.  We are too scared to do the wrong thing or 'miss out' on 'God's perfect will.'" He is right.  Our flesh and natural instinct is to ignore or miss out on the things that we probably should be doing.  I replied by referring to what Paul said about beating his body into submission.  We do not ever want our bodies or flesh to determine our decisions or our ability to act or to ignore a situation.  It is flesh and blood, but more importantly it is sinful and selfish.  My flesh and even my heart can be deceptive.  Out of the heart speaks the mouth but what am I feeding my emotions?  Am I hiding God's word in my heart?  Am i memorizing Scriptures?  It is no one's fault but my own.  I am happy that God has been showing me these things now so I can begin to work and submit these things over to Him.  I want Him to wipe away any calluses on my heart and make my heart like baby skin like Keith Green prayed.  I never want to become numb to the uncomfortable lifestyle a Christian SHOULD be living out.

No comments: