2.10.2008

the master communicator

As I entered the new year God really laid on my heart to study the gospels again. I believe that the best example we have to look to for pastoral qualities is jesus christ. I know this might sound basic but I dont want to just read it...i want to become it. I want to let is sink down into the fibers of my being and transform the way i am not only in ministry but in everyday life.

One thing to observe when see how jesus interacted with others is to see who he was interacting with. he acted very differently with lepers or prostitutes than he did with religious people like Pharisees. I dont believe that God wants me to turn over tables in churches where they are not preaching the word of God and being focused one really the "feel good" church...yet. Maybe one day God will let me do that. But to everyone else Jesus was the nicest guy you could ever meet. He was friendly, outgoing, he listened to you and was completely focused on you for as long as you wanted. When he replied or spoke back he never insulted or put them down, but in very honest, but yet encouraging words he found a way to really make an impact on their spiritual well being. sure, sometimes he healed people, feed people, raised people from the dead, but ultimately jesus wasnt about works was he? he was about the lifestyle.

Another thing that i have picked up on that may sound like common sense is the fact that jesus rarely replied back the way the person wanted. He replied with stories, metaphors, parables, scripture, and other forms of analogies. I dont think that we need to always reply with a parable every time someone asks us a question but how often do we really take time to think and let what the person is saying and feeling really soak in before answering back. When we talk to someone or are listening to them we need to be focused on only one thing, and that is them. They want your full attention and they want to know that even if you have not words of advice, that you listened to them whole heartedly and you allowed them to vent and share with you where God has them or what they are going through. Not every conversation is going to be some deep spiritual conversation, but even in talking about your day we need to look at things from an eternal perspective and allow us to view our everyday lives and activities as opportunities to show and be jesus to the world. I believe it starts with learning how to communicate the way jesus did.

My challenge to you, and my challenge to me is to take a journey. A journey that allows God to transform the way you talk even. Communication is something we all must do and be a part of everyday on different levels. I pray that God allows you to see how his son was the perfect example of how to act, and communicate.

No comments: