2.13.2008

day nine


I wish the hunger and thirst that I have been praying for on this hall was evident to not only me but I wish you could see it too in person.  It is incredible to see what prayer and fasting does on this hall.  I am thankful that God has not only given me a heart for prayer about this hall and the guys on it, but that I am getting a chance to see the seeds be harvested.
Tonight was a typical tuesday night.  it was small group night.  the way small group ministry works at liberty is like the image you see.
RD - resident director
RA - resident assistant
SLD - spiritual life director
PL - prayer leader (small group leaders)
PGM - prayer group member (usually 5-6 per prayer group)
This is effective because everyone on campus at liberty is being ministered to and has a CHANCE to be personally disciple and mentored.
Attending prayer groups is not mandatory at all but definitely encouraged and endorsed by Liberty University.  I have five awesome guys and they love the NOOMA videos by Rob Bell.  A lot of nights we will watch one and then have discussion about it.  Some nights the questions go as planned, other nights we get completely off track (which is awesome too).  Tonight we watched the video called "Breathe".  I wanted to something unique and different because of what God had been doing in my life over the past few days and the heart I have for prayer right now and seeing the fruit of it.

After the video was done playing I explained to the guys that I did not want to talk about it, preach, discuss, or anything.  I wanted to pray and let the words in the video along with being lead by the Spirit lead us into a place of intercession.  I told the guys that I did not want to just "pray for the person on our left or right," but really press in and intercede for the needs in our lives, and for the things in our lives that God wants to take from us.  For thirty minutes we prayed all out and as I lead this guys in prayer they just ran with it.  After that I wanted to just spend time praying for each of the guys one by one.  I wanted each of us to all lays hands on one person and pray collectively for his needs, life, and the blessing he is.  So one by one they sat in a chair in the middle of the room and each guy prayed for the guy sitting down and then I would close us out each time.  All five guys prayed and then I would close, and one by one would sit down and we would do it again and again and again.  Finally once the last guy prayed I was getting ready to lead us in a closing prayer and the guys told me that I hadn't gone yet and they sat me down in the chair and prayed a blessing over my life.  The encouraged me so much and spoke life into my Spirit.  I began to cry just knowing that the love I have for each of them was being shown back to me and that my work in their lives over the past 6 months of school has been effective.  After they prayed over me I closed us out in prayer and each of the guys walked out with a sense of joy, peace, and even some were emotional after seeing what God had done.  I walked out more in love, more hungry, more thirsty, and more passionate for what God is doing.  CAN YOU BELIEVE WHAT IS GOING ON?  IS THIS REAL?  I wanted to shout out these questions to everyone in the hall.  I have such excitement right now and it is contagious.  God continues to show up bigger and bigger everyday in a new and exciting way.  If this is the answer to prayer, fasting, and leadership than I have no one to blame but God.  I am so humbled by what he is doing in me, through me, and around me.

Books I read today:
The Relevant Church - Mike Bickle, Mark Driscoll, and more.

Scripture I read today:
Psalm 112-118
Proverbs 25-31

Verse of the Day:
Job 1:1

No comments: