2.10.2008

just a thought...

I love the words of Paul. So many times I feel like we are the same people, and other times like he is light years in front of me. I hear him say things like he does what he doesn’t want to do, and doesn’t do what he ought to do. Those words are music to my ears. Hope for those of us who are far from where we probably should be.

In my journey I have discovered that Christianity as we know it here in the North American culture is probably not what Jesus truly had in mind. I make this bold statement but I am not really doing anything to make it better. What is the heart of God? What does it mean to know the heart of God? How would He want us to life our faith? How is Christianity supposed to be lived out?

I struggle daily with what it means to be that “perfect Christian” that the church tells me I have to be. In order to serve in ministry, or even attend most churches we must put these artificial masks on so that they do not “judge our fruit.” What a tragedy the bride of Christ has become in so many ways. I love it when I get a glimpse of the true bride of Christ. I think that is what makes it worth my while. That is the drive behind me continually serving, loving, caring, and being the bride. Unfortunately, I see the mask she wears more than I see her face.

I knew this guy who is no longer in the church as you and I know it because of the wounds she has given him. He served in countless ministries, and was one of the most intelligent men I knew at that time. He could quote scripture like I talk about football. He attended a church and after he began speaking fairly regularly from the pulpit. He never hesitated to tell the truth, especially when the church needed to be heard from the church. He was quickly making enemies in the church because of his openness and willingness to say what God has put on his heart. The situation got worse when the leadership failed to handle it correctly. The kicked him out, and told him that he was not being a real Christian by saying those things. He no longer wants to be a part of the corporate church. He chooses to do small groups, and home churches. This man remains one of the godliest men I know, but with a huge wound from the bride of Christ.

Jesus came on this earth and radically reshaped the way that people thought and lived. He taught in parables, and lived out a lifestyle that was no typical of a traditional rabbi. So many times my mind has been corrupted by the thought that if Jesus were here on this earth today he would be a nice guy who goes to men seminars and gently loves us. I believe that this mindset is completely inaccurate. We forget that Jesus hung out with prostitutes, tax collectors, uneducated men, the blind, and lepers. This was two thousand years ago and he lived a lifestyle that is radical to us in our world today! Even if he were to come do the exact same thing today in the 21st century would we believe that he was God’s son?

No comments: