2.07.2008

day two

Wow...God never ceases to show His unconditional love and mercy on me.  I am learning what it means to be fully dependant on the Spirit of God.  Just as Jesus only did what his father in heaven wanted I so want to be so in tune with the Spirit that I only do what the Father desires.  There are already moments of hunger, but every time I feel hungry I resort to different verses that I have meditated and memorized while journeying for these forty days on a fast.  I have been spending my normal meal hours in the Word and on my face in prayer.  I want to make sure that that normal "eating" times do not just because "free time" but time I am devoting to God with my hunger and thirst spiritually.

I read more of Louie's book today as he talked about different experiences that he has been forced out of his "norm" and God has showed up big.  How appropriate?  God is definitely forcing me out of my normality lately and allowing me to learn what it is like to lay every desire and want I have at his feet.  This is by no means normal for me.  I have fasted in the past with a week being the longest, and even though it is only day two I know that this is a journey that is by no means a sprint, but rather a marathon.  I'm thinking long term, and allowing myself to remember that God is honoring this dime in devotion to him.  God is definitely stretching me and allowing me to see so many things that I normally don't in life.  

I am so appreciative of God's creation the past few days.  It was so beautiful today and I am sitting outside right now writing this sitting a hill looking over the gorgeous Blue Ridge mountains.  I love admiring God's creation and seeing Him in the small stuff.  I miss it most of the time because I crowd my life with business and forget to schedule time to do absolutely nothing but admire God's creation.  I have my devo every day and I spend time in the Word throughout the day but rarely do I take the time to just admire all that he is doing in the small things like nature.

School and fasting are not two words that I would have put together in the same sentence before I considered this fast.  Now, I would never separate the two.  God teaches us so much through these times when we dedicate a time of fasting to him.  I am learning so much spiritually right now through the books, Bible, and even through prayer.  I am learning about a lifestyle that Jesus calls us to, that he himself took part in.  I thought it would be extra hard to do a fast while being in a university setting but rather it is only encouraging me.  Through my classes this semester about Acts (in the Bible), a Theology class, a Worldview/ Contemporary Issues Class, a class about the Church in Missions, and a class on Church Ministries I am learning so much.  The fast is actually in a weird way teaching me more educationally then normally.  I have such a desire to learn right now that I am taking anything I can get from my personal reading to readings and projects for classes here at Liberty.

I am humbled today by God's bigness (yes that is a word...I checked).  His supremacy over us.  How small we are truly are in the vastness of His universe.  How honored I should feel that he allows me to be a part of it.  How he loves me and wants a person relationship with me.

Books I read today:
i am not but i know I AM - Louie Giglio

Scripture I read today:
Job 38-41
Psalm 33
Isaiah 40

Verse of the day:
Philippians 2:15

No comments: