2.12.2008

day eight

God continues to blow my mind on the time of fasting.  I am glad I chose to wait and journal yesterday until now because one of the key highlights of my day yesterday was at the end of my evening.

Jason and I decided to pray together yesterday for a while.  We were probably in the room for over an hour just seeking God and praying for the hall, our small groups, and the campus here at large.  God showed us Scripture that allowed us to back up and pray for the unity of the hall.

Before I tell you about what happen last night I need to build up the story a little...

I live in room 305, and there are four rooms to the left of mine that all belong to wrestlers.  Last semester there were several times when it would be after midnight and they would be blaring music and being loud.  The hall phone is right beside my room and some of the wrestlers thought that it would be funny to stretch the phone cord and wrap it on our door handle, knock on our door, and run.  So when I opened the door it was slam on the ground and no one would be standing there.  Needless to say these are a few examples in which me and the rooms beside me do not like each other.

Until a week ago I had never actually sat down and talked with any of them.  Adam was the one that opened up.  He is so knowledgeable and passionate but still very young.  He and I have talked about everything from theology and doctrine to books and music we like.

Last night after Jason and I had got out of our small group meeting that we have weekly on mondays Adam peeked his head in and asked if we could pray for a bit.  I asked Jason if he was in a hurry to go to sleep and we both agreed to pray for a bit but nothing real long.  After I told Adam that we would love to pray, his friend Joe (also a wrestler) walked in to say hi and we invited him to pray if he would like.  I told them that we could pray each of us and be lead by the Spirit in what to pray for and then I would group us together and close us out as we pray for each other.  About five minutes into praying (I had my back to the door) I heard some voices that I did not recognize.  I turned around and noticed five different wrestlers on my floor in my tiny dorm room.  They were on their faces praying and seeking God, singing along with some worship music that was in the background, reading Scripture and praying Scripture.  Jason and I before last night had never had more than one wrestler in our room and these guys are right beside us.  They are our neighbors and we had never had a relationship with any of them.  All of a sudden there for FIVE huge muscular guys in my room on their faces before God.

As I am praying and leading us as a group in praying for different things that come to me.  We probably were praying for over an hour and then I killed the music and told everyone in the room to just be quiet and lets allow God to speak to us.  I told them to rid themselves of any distractions whether in the room by closing their eyes or in their minds with stuff like school or relationships.  There was no talking and not even a noise for five minutes.  Finally I told the guys that if God was speaking or laying something on your heart then speak it out.  Jason talked about the hall and how God wanted to ignite a passion and a hunger for more of Him.  Then one of the guys said that we needed to pray for the rooms on the hall.  I immediately said, "Ok, lets go do it."  At 1:30 in the morning I lead the guys in the hall to prayer for each room.  I told them to pray very quietly so that we do not disturb anyone but to place your hand on the door or the door number on the wall and pray as you feel lead.  I told them to pray for each room but make sure that while we are doing this we are being quiet and respectful.  We split and started at two different sides of the hall and worked our way all the way down the hall until we met.  Then after we prayed we gathered back in my room and all held hands and prayed together.  After I closed us out in prayer each of the guys hugged me and thanked me for everything.  I looked at Jason and we both were just full of smiles.  It even brought a tear to my eye to see what God is doing.

If you would have asked Jason and I if last night would have ever happened we would have been the first of many to say, "yeah right."  God answers prayer.  Jason and I have been praying for the very thing that started last night.  I have been seeking God through this fast and God allowed Jason and I to see the fruit of it.  The presence of God was so thick and present in the room while we were praying that no one could ignore it.  Nothing crazy or "weird" happened last night other than the fact that there were eight guys in one room praying for each other, ourselves, our hall, our campus, and the body of Christ as a whole.

I am still in awe and amazement about what exactly happened last night.

This is only the first wave of seeing God move.  First of many to come.

Books I read today:
The Relevant Church - Mark Driscoll, Mike Bickle, and more.
(A lot of school work)

Scripture I read today:
Psalm 119
Psalm 139
2 Timothy
Titus

Verse of the day:
1 Peter 3:8

No comments: